On This Day of Joy and Gladness

So it's now about a month later from my last post so it's about time to blog again, right?  

Because I am once again behind, here's catchup for you.

This past semester has been one of the craziest I have ever seen (though I'm sure I say this every semester), but it has been a worthwhile experience.  Here are a few things I've learned:

--The words "craig" and "moob" can be used for just about anything
--It's true. You really don't get kicked out of the Clyde building after hours
--The Lord does love His children
--Throwing small items at loved ones can become contagious
--If you want 11 people to constantly ask you about your relationship status, try dating inside the ward*
--Sleep and food, especially the lack thereof, actually affect every aspect of your life.  Go figure.
--Denny's has a $2,4,6,8 menu, and it is basically awesome
--Miscommunication can be a great, efficient way to upset people
--I have tendencies to act more like a man than a woman sometimes
--The Priesthood is truly the power to act in God's name
--Gulags and living conditions in communists states are worse than I had previously comprehended
--Insomniacs struggle with taking naps
--The JFSB has some really fun study areas, as does the JKB
--Being sick during finals week may put a damper on your productivity level
--Time flies faster after midnight.  If you're not careful, it'll be 5am or later before you know it. 
--Jack-o'lanterns become old, disgusting men who pee without shame if given enough time
--I am capable of enduring more stress and demands than I thought possible

Needless to say, it's been quite the adventure.  

And then...

After finals week, the holidays came!

This consisted of (ready for another list?):

--a 'cross-country road trip, from Utah to Indiana in 26 hours straight!
--awkward meeting-the-family moments!
--Christmas lights in Charlestown!
--Puking in Fort Wayne!
--Late night realizations!
--Awesome family fun!
--Robot Unicorn Attack!
--Lots of movies!
--"Jared, hulk it!"
-- Talking to Sister Sabalones via phone!
And much more to follow I'm sure.

And just one more thought.

I really like this quote by Julie B Beck, which I think illustrates was the most important lesson I learned from the past four months.
"[The sisters] articulate uneasiness about the future, sorrow for unrealized expectations, some indecision, and diminished feelings of self-worth.  They also reflect a deep desire to do what is right...
"A good woman knows that she does not have enough time, energy or opportunity to take care of all of the people or do all of the worthy things her heart yearns to do.  But with personal revelation, she can prioritize correctly and navigate this life confidently."

This semester, I worked very hard to do what was right.  I did my best to meet the needs of my friends, roommates and now boyfriend while trying to accomplish more schoolwork than I had time for.  Though I sometimes saw positive fruits of my labor, I often felt like I still wasn't doing enough and, especially concerning school, it seemed that all my efforts were in vain.  

And because of it, this quote was exactly what I needed to hear. I'm not the only person who feels bad for what she can't accomplish, or inadequate despite my desire to be what the Lord needs me to be, and I should understand that I will not be able to do every good thing.  But as I strive to develop my relationship with my Father in Heaven, and listen for the promptings of the Spirit, everything will work out fine.  I will be able to "prioritize correctly and navigate this life confidently," and know that I a really am a worthwhile daughter of God.  

So now, readers of my blog, are officially caught up.  Congratulations.

*ward: LDS church congregation

No comments:

Post a Comment