What's in a name?

So after following my sister-in-law's blog, and then my cousin's, and then my best friend's, I realized I really want one too. I want my family and friends to know what's going on with my life, and what I'm learning from it. After all, what good is experiencing something if you never get to share it with others? "Wherefore he that preacheth and he that receiveth understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together" (D&C 50:22). Not that I want to sound preachy or anything, but you get the picture.

I've actually known for awhile that I wanted to start a blog, but I wanted a title that reflected my view of life. That person in me that actually liked talking about symbolism in English got to me. Plus everyone else's seemed to reflect their personality, so what could reflect mine? And tonight of all nights, I realized what I wanted to call it, and though I was hesitant at first because it was cliche, I knew it reflected how I really view life. But let me back up.

Ever since I was little, I have always heard that life isn't a fairytale. Things don't work out for your good just because it'd make you happy. Everything doesn't fall into place for your "wish upon a star". And though I've learned like everyone else has that things really don't always go the way you plan, I still believe that everyone can have their happy ever after if they so choose.

And I've heard the evidence suggesting that Cinderella stories don't exist and, you know, they are pretty convincing. One example that comes to mind was the Butler vs Duke game at the end of March Madness. One of my friends said it proved that people with money will always beat out those less fortunate. Or what about how Brittany has dreamed of being a nurse all her life and she couldn't get into the program no matter all her hardwork and dedication. Or how Matt dreamed of getting the Olympic gold in swimming, but his health problems have gotten so bad that he can never compete again. I admit it. More than once has what I believed to be "my fairytale" fallen apart. But I have also learned that many of the best things come from what you don't expect, and God knows what greatness you are capable of and what happiness you have in store for you more than you do.

"For a moment, think back about your favorite fairy tale. In that story the main character may be a princess or a peasant; she might be a mermaid or a milkmaid, a ruler or a servant. You will find one thing all have in common: they must overcome adversity....Think about it. Has there ever been a person who did not have to go through his or her own dark valley of temptation, trial, and sorrow?" (Uchtdorf, "Happily Ever After", Ensign, May 2010)

We are meant to be happy. Our Father in Heaven has put us on this earth to experience joy, to find eternal happiness! We are supposed to struggle, we are going to have disappointments, there will be times where our life crumbles before us, but "it will all work out...Put your trust in God and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us...if we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers." (Gordon B. Hinckley, emphasis added)

I know I've written a lot, and quoted a lot, but I can not emphasize enough there is hope. Miracles and happy endings are real. Just because we can't see it yet, doesn't mean it won't happen, but it is our responsibility to see it through.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
(excerpt from Invictus by William Ernest Henley)

In the end, I basically wanted to answer the question "Why would Leah choose such a cheesy title?"
The answer? Because it's true. This is my story from rags to riches. The story of a girl who finds challenges she never thought she would face, mistakes she never thought she'd make, and joys she never thought she'd obtain.

And now, it's available to you.

<3

2 comments: